November 26, 2016.
DailyCaring compiled an excellent list of holiday gift ideas for seniors, which I am pleased to share below. I encourage you to visit DailyCaring for more practical tips for families caring for older adults.
Get the 41 smartest holiday gift ideas for seniors
Now that the gift giving season is upon us, you might be wondering what to get your older adult for the holidays. After all, so many seniors say they don’t want or need anything.
Take a look at this curated list of our top 41 favorite gift ideas. They’re thoughtful, helpful, and will improve your older adult’s life — we think they’re the smartest gift ideas around! You’re sure to find something your senior will be thrilled to receive.
13 gifts that make life easier and more comfortable
- $5 Walker ski glides — make it easier to use a walker, no more catching back legs on carpet
- $15 – 20 House slippers for women and men — they have a safe non-skid sole and are adjustable, breathable, and comfortable
- From $20 A special cushion that makes it more comfortable to sit and prevents pressure sores
- From $27 Hugo Mobility Quadpod Offset Cane — it increases stability and reduces fall risk, find out why it’s recommended by physical therapists here
- $30 HandyBar Auto Standing Aid — this helps seniors get in and out of the car with ease
- $40 Heated blanket — keep seniors warm and ease aches and pains
- $40 Hamilton Beach Open Ease Automatic Jar Opener — no more struggles to open jars means increased independence!
- From $40 Advanced electric toothbrush — make brushing easier and improve dental health
- Adaptive shoes & slippers are comfortable and safe for people with special foot needs, get more info about adaptive shoes here
- Stylish adaptive clothes — they’re easier to put on and take off, which increases independence, get more info about adaptive clothes here
- From $349 personal hearing amplifiers — lets seniors hear conversations and TV clearly, no more feeling left out or blasting the sound
- $21 Mini electric shaver — get a safe, clean shave anywhere
- $50 Philips Norelco 3100 — get a comfortable, safe, and clean shave anywhere with a high-quality cordless rechargeable electric shaver
5 gifts that entertain and engage
- From $4 Beautiful coloring books — they’re not childish and can provide hours of relaxing fun
- Their favorite music — add to a music lover’s collection or bring old favorites back into your senior’s life, we’ve got suggestions for a variety of musical tastes
- $90 Easy-to-use CD player — easily play favorite music, pro tip: for easy use, put colorful stickers on the power and play buttons
- Jigsaw puzzles — a fun way to exercise the brain at any level, even those with cognitive or vision challenges
- Large-print or jumbo playing cards — can be used for a variety of fun card games
4 gifts that make it easier for seniors to get around
- $58 Four wheel rollator walker with seat and back support
- $329 Free2Go rollator — innovative new rollator walker + bathroom aid makes it safer and easier to use public restrooms independently, worth it for independent seniors who hesitate to go out for fear of not being able to use the toilet without help
- Gift card to Lyft or Uber for on-demand rides
- Gift certificate for SilverRide for escorted transportation, fun excursions, or social events
3 gifts that celebrate special memories
1. Create a custom photo blanket so they’ll be warm and cozy with familiar faces all around
2. Create a custom photo puzzle using family pictures or photos of places with special meaning
- Portrait Puzzles – from $35, comes in variety of sizes & number of pieces
- Shutterfly – $30, variety of photo layouts
- Walmart – from $10, comes with custom gift box
3. Create a custom photo album to showcase special memories
5 gifts that keep seniors safe
- Make simple, but effective fixes around their house for big safety benefits — your time and effort are gifts too!
- Simple lighting upgrades — brighten the house and reduce fall risk at the same time
- $15 Zeefo motion-activated stick anywhere LED light 3 pack — great for added safety in places where you can’t put a lamp
- $140 “No-install” grab bar and pole — can be installed anywhere for a little extra help getting up
- $200 Nest Cam — actively keep an eye on them, it’s not right for everyone, but a welcome solution for some
4 gifts that keep seniors connected
- $50 Presto or from $14/month Celery — lets seniors keep in touch through email without having to own or touch a computer!
- $150 GreatCall’s Jitterbug Smart smartphone — easy to use and has excellent health & safety features for both older adults and caregivers
- From $349 Claris Companion tablet — seniors can enjoy photos, video chat, and Internet browsing on a simplified tablet, supply your own tablet and just get the service for $29/month
- From $699 Telikin — an easy-to-use computer that has the benefits of a full computer (and tech support!) without any maintenance headaches
2 gift certificate ideas
- A gift certificate to their favorite restaurant or set a date to enjoy a special meal together at a great restaurant
- Gift certificates for pampering services like hair styling, massage (ask for ageriatric massage!), manicure, or pedicure
5 gifts of togetherness
Many older adults prefer spending more time with loved ones rather than receive material gifts. Use these suggestions as a starting point to find activities that you can enjoy together.
- Commit to a standing lunch, dinner, or phone call date where you can spend quality time together once or twice a month
- Join them in their favorite activity or hobby
- Take regular walks in a park or botanical garden
- Visit a museum
- Watch a movie or documentary